Frequently Asked Questions
CHOICE OF YOUR BOAT
- WHY CHOOSE TO BUY A SECOND-HAND BOAT RATHER THAN RENTING?
- If you are a boating enthusiast, you certainly want to spend as much time as possible on board. By choosing to buy your second-hand boat, you make sure you can cruise when and where you want. There is no deposit to pay, no arrival or departure time and no imposed journey. You are completely free. You are at home on board, closer to nature. On top of that, becoming an Owner of your own second-hand boat is much cheaper than renting for several years.
- CAN YOU LIVE ON A BOAT ALL YEAR ROUND?
- "Yes of course! I, Romuald LeBlanc, Broker, have lived on a boat for 9 years and highly recommends it! I will be happy to share my experience and the best tips to face the cold winter as well as the summer heat."
- CAN I VISIT THE BOAT I'M INTESTERED TO BUY?
- If the sanitary measures allow it, you can certainly make an appointment with our experts to visit the model(s) you want. If you don't have the opportunity to travel, that's fine, you can make an appointment with one of our exerts for a live video visit. You will then have the opportunity to visit the boat of your choice from a distance and ask us your questions.
COST OF YOUR BOAT
- HOW MUCH DOES MAINTENANCE COST?
- The maintenance of a boat keeps it in good condition and therefore maintains its value. Above all, proper maintenance allows you to use your boat with a complete peace of mind.
Boat maintenance consists of taking care of the engine and the other accessories, taking it out of the water regularly for a refit and winterizing in the winter season to protect it from freezing. Inland waterway boats are subject to much less problems than sea-going boats.
We can provide you with an estimate of these costs for each boat available for sale
- ARE THEY TAXES TO PAY TO OWN A BOAT?
- If your boat is located in France, the only tax that you will need to pay is VNF. This tax will allow you to cruise and to use the locks and harbour facilities maintained by VNF. You can pay it online for a day, a month or a year.
- HOW MUCH DOES INSURANCE COST?
- It is strongly recommended to insure your boat, to protect your investment from possible problems. The cost of an all-risk insurance is 0.8 to 1.2% of the value of your boat. We are happy to advise and assist you in this process.
- WHAT EQUIPMENT IS REQUIRED?
- Safety on board must be a priority, that's why we provide you with a list of mandatory equipment. Most of the boats we offer for sale are already equipped with all the necessary specifications.
- WHAT ARE THE ADMINISTRATIVE STEPS TO BE AWARE OF WHEN BUYING A BOAT?
- The sale of a boat is a private contract. There may be additional steps when the boat, the seller or the buyer are foreign. Don't worry, we take care of all these steps for you!
- DO I NEED A LICENSE TO OWN A CANAL BOAT?
- Yes the license is necessary for owners of river boats. Contrary to a simple boat hire, used boat ownership requires a boating license. Nevertheless, if you decide to buy a boat through the Le Boat Ownership Programme, you won't have to take the license test during the 8 years of your contract. On the other hand, if you wish to keep the boat at the end of your contract, you will have to take the test.
- WHERE CAN I FIND A MOORING SPACE FOR MY BOAT?
- With the exception of a few ports close to the Mediterranean arc and the Paris region, you should easily find a mooring place for your boat as the river network is not saturated. We can assist you with this search in the different regions of France.
- DO I NEED TO HAVE MY BOAT INSPECTED BY AN EXPERT?
- We advise you to have the boat you want to buy appraised. Indeed, in addition to our advice, the expert will help you to put reason into a purchase that could be made on a whim.When buying a boat, we provide you with all the information you need to know about it, in order to avoid any unpleasant surprises. Nowadays, insurers ask for an expert report for boats that are more than 20 years old. This expertise is a precise and official report of the state of the boat at the time of its purchase and will reassure you and potential buyers during a future resale.
Didn't find the answer to your question? Contact us by email or phone: + 33 (0)3 80 27 03 58.
Our friendly experts will be happy to help you.
over which we have no control. These named third parties may include,
for example, advertising networks and providers of external services
like web traffic analysis services. These third party cookies are likely
to be performance cookies or advertising cookies.
You can choose which performance, functional and advertising cookies we
can set by clicking on the button below.
However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies
(including essential cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts
of our website.
Except for essential cookies, all cookies will expire after the period
set out in the table above.